Court fees and fee waivers

How much does it cost to raise my case?
When you sue, you should normally pay a “deposit fee”. There may be other court fees depending on your case. For example, you may need to pay for copies or pay until the other side serves the court papers.

Court fees vary from county. Contact the district clerk’s office in the county where you plan to submit your court papers to see your case charges.


What if I can not pay court fees?
If you do not have enough money to pay court fees, you can ask the judge to waive the fees.

Your fees must be waived if you can verify any of the following:

I applied for a lawyer through a legal aid provider and found a legal aid provider that you did not have enough money to pay for your court, but the legal aid provider was unable to accept your case.
You do not have enough money to pay for your basic household needs and court fees.


How can I ask the judge to waive court fees?

THis model tells the judge that you can not pay court fees. Fill it with blue or black ink and seal. Do not leave blank spaces.

You must include complete and accurate information about:

Any government benefits you get because you are poor;
Your household income after taxes;
People who depend on you for financial support
Your expenses.
Attachments: If you receive government benefits because you are poor, attach a proof (such as a copy of the eligibility or verification form) to your account statement.

If you want the judge to think of other facts, such as unusual medical expenses or family emergencies, attach a separate page to this information. Type “Gallery: Additional Supportive Facts” at the top of the page.

Your address: This form asks for your address. The other side may get a copy of this form. If you are concerned about the other side of your address, contact the Family Violence Legal Order at 1-800-374-4673 for free advice.

Warning! When you sign this form, you indicate under penalty of perjury that the information in the form is correct and correct. This means that it is a crime lying on this model.

Conduct your completed statement in the clerk’s office when submitting other court forms.

What happens if a contest is offered?
If your statement is challenged, you must return to court for a hearing. You must bring proof of your income (such as a copy of your paystub) and prove your expenses to the hearing. You should also provide proof of any government benefits you receive.

At the hearing, the judge will review your evidence and listen to your testimony. The judge will decide if you can pay court fees.

If the employee is submitting a contest, do I have to wait to submit my file?
No. The employee still has to let you submit your case and bring the service to the other side without paying you. However, if the judge decides later that you can pay, you must pay court fees.